- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the filling
- 30 g butter, softened
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 mango, peeled, stoned and roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp rum
- 2 tbsp dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
For the topping
- 100 g butter, cut into small pieces, plus 30g extra to dot on top
- 200 g crumbs of gingerbread
- large pinch cinnamon
- 50 g dark brown muscovado sugar
- whipped cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Use the softened butter to grease a large, shallow ovenproof dish, measuring about 30cm x 20cm.
2. For the filling: pour a splash of water into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat, then add the pears and cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on how soft you like them.
3. For the topping: while the pears are cooking, put all the topping ingredients, apart from the extra 30g of butter, into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (Alternatively, to make the topping by hand, rub the butter into the gingerbread crumbs with the cinnamon and salt until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar).
4. To assemble the crumble, drain the pears of any excess liquid then arrange them in the buttered dish along with the mangoes. Pour over the rum, sprinkle with the muscovado sugar, flour and ginger and mix everything together lightly, to just combine.
5. Spread the crumble topping over the fruit in an even layer and dot with the remaining butter. Sit the dish on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven for 25-30 minutes, until slightly brown on top. Serve hot with whipped cream.
Rate This Recipe