- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g potatoes, peeled
- 8 slices from joint of Black bacon
- 2 tbsp Irish wild honey
- 50 g butter, melted
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- salt and black pepper
1. Boil the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender - about 15-20 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
2. Fry the back bacon until crisp in a large frying pan - you shouldn't require any oil. In the final few minutes of cooking, drizzle with the honey.
3. Meanwhile, mash the potatoes with a potato masher or ricer.
4. Melt the butter in a separate pan and add half of it to the mashed potatoes.
5. Add the spring onions to the remaining butter in the pan and fry until softened. Stir the spring onions through the mash and season to taste.
6. Arrange the champ on four warmed plates, top with the bacon and drizzle over the pan juices to serve.
Made with produce from O'Doherty's Fine Meats - finalists of the Local Food Hero Awards 2007.
Rate This Recipe