- Serves: 6-10
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chicken wings
- 20 chicken wings
- ½ onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 large pinch dried red chilli flakes
- 2 lemons, grated zest and juice
- 1 handfuls coriander leaves
For the winter squash salad
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bunches spinach leaves
- 1 handfuls toasted walnut halves, chopped
- 1 handfuls dried cranberries
- ½ oranges, flesh only, chopped
For the winter squash dresing
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 1 orange, juice only
For the plantain blinis
- 2 eggs
- 200 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 2 ripe plantains, mashed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped (optional)
- olive oil, for frying
For the goats cheese dressing
- 1 small tub goats' milk yogurt, about 150g
- 200 ml creme fraiche
- 100 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp soft, fresh goats' cheese
- 1 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- sliced prosciutto, optional
- creamed salt cod, optional
- wasabi-flavoured tobiko or flying fish roe, optional
- soft-boiled quail's eggs, optional
1. For the chicken wings: preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Toss together the chicken wings, onion, garlic, tamari, smoked paprika, ground coriander, chilli flakes and the zest and juice of one of the lemons.
2. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer in a large roasting tin. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
3. For the winter squash salad: tip the butternut squash into a roasting tin, drizzle with the olive oil and roast for 35-40 minutes, or until tender and tinged golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, blanch the spinach for 30 seconds in a pan of boiling salted water, then drain and refresh in cold water. Drain again and squeeze the spinach to remove any excess water, then chop roughly.
5. When the squash is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and toss gently. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. For the winter squash dressing: lightly fry the garlic in the olive oil, then remove from the heat and mix with the vinegar and orange juice. Pour over the warm butternut squash salad, gently tossing to combine.
7..For the plantain blinis: whisk the eggs, flour and milk together in a large bowl to form a loose batter the consistency of double cream. Stir in the remaining ingredients, apart from the olive oil.
8. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add small spoonfuls of the batter to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain the cooked blinis on kitchen paper and repeat until all the batter has been used.
9. For the goats' cheese dressing: mix all the ingredients together and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
10. Just before serving, top the blinis with your choice of toppings and spoon over the goats cheese dressing. Sprinkle the extra lemon zest and juice over the chicken wings and scatter with coriander leaves. Arrange the dishes together on platters for sharing.
Rate This Recipe