- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 bottles fruity red wine
- 200 g caster sugar
- 8 cloves
- 8 green cardamom, lightly crushed
- 1 sticks cinnamon
- 1 orange, peel only (cut away the white pith)
- 75 g raisins
- 20 g nibbed or blanched flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp angostura bitters
- 250 ml Madeira or marsala
- generous slosh Cointreau or other orange liqueur
1. Put the wine into a large saucepan with the sugar. Gently heat, stirring to help the sugar dissolve.
2. Put the spices and the orange peel in a little muslin bag and add this to the wine. Add all the other ingredients and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes or so, but don't let the mixture boil.
3. Serve in glasses with small spoons so people can scoop out and eat all the almonds and the boozy raisins.
Rate This Recipe