- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 6 large eggs
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 g ground almonds
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 50 g chopped apricots
For the syrup
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 oranges, juice only
- 4 tbsp Cointreau
- crème fraîche
Tips and Suggestions
Turn out the cake on the plate you want to serve it on so you dont need to move it again.
1. Grease and line a 8 inch cake tin; preheat oven to 150C/140C fan/ gas 3.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks into two separate large mixing bowls. Whisk the egg whites until soft peak. Whisk the yolks and sugar together until pale and thick, stir in the ground almonds and zest.
3. Fold in the whisked egg whites. Lastly, fold in the chopped apricots. Pour into the lined tin and bake for around an hour until a skewer comes out clean.
4. For the syrup: put all the ingredients into a saucepan
and bring to boil. Simmer for around 10 minutes be careful it doesnt over boil.
Turn the heat off and leave to cool whilst cake is cooking.
5. When the cake is out of the oven turn it out onto a plate, make holes on
top of the cake with a skewer and pour over the syrup. Leave the syrup to soak in
for a few hours.
Recipe supplied by Especially Delicious
Rate This Recipe