- Serves: makes 15 buns
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: to allow the dough to rise
- Effort: easy
For the buns
- 500 g gluten and wheat-free white flour
- 75 g caster sugar
- 7 g fast action yeast
- 3 g Xantham gum, available in the free-from section of most supermarkets
- 350 ml milk
- 50 g margarine, or butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra for oiling the bowl
- 75 g sultanas
- 50 g mixed peel
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the cross
- 75 g gluten and wheat free flour
For the glaze
- 4 tsp apricot jam
Tips and Suggestions
When shaping the dough into buns, if the dough feels sticky you can oil on your hands to help roll them
1. For the buns: Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add 1 teaspoon salt, the sugar, yeast and the xantham gum.
2. Heat the milk and margarine together until the margarine is melted and the milk is warm to the touch.
3. Make a well in the flour, add the milk mix and the beaten egg and bring everything together with a wooden spoon.
4. Roll the dough into a large ball and place the dough in a large oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for an hour or until it has doubled in size.
5. Add the oil, sultanas, mixed peel, orange zest, mixed spice, cinnamon to the bowl and mix into the dough. Cover again with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
7. Shape into 15 buns and place on a baking sheet.
8. For the cross: Mix the flour with a small amount of water until you have a thick paste and pipe onto the buns in the shape of a cross.
9. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for approximately 20 minutes until golden brown.
10. For the glaze: While the buns are still warm, gently heat the apricot jam until it melts then sieve it into a bowl to get rid of any lumps. While the jam is still warm, brush over the top of the warm buns and leave to cool.
Recipe from gluten free food company Perk!er.
Rate This Recipe