- Serves: Makes 12 big cookies!
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 eggs
- 400 g granulated sugar
- 400 g unpeeled almonds, coarsley chopped
- 75 g candied orange peel, finely chopped
- 1 lemons, grated rind and juice
- 0.25 nutmeg, finely grated
- 5 g ground cinnamon
- 20 ml rose water
- 15 g icing sugar
- melted chocolate, optional
Tips and Suggestions
Melt the chocolate by breaking it into small pieces and adding to a heatproof bowl.
Pour a small amount of boiling water into a saucepan and heat until simmering. Suspend the bowl over the water without letting it touch the water.
Stirring throughout, heat the chocolate until almost completely melted, then set aside. The heat of the bowl will melt the rest.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 5.
2. Using either a hand whisk or electric hand whisk, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until it resembles thick cream.
3. Gradually add the almonds, candied orange peel, lemon rind, nutmeg and cinnamon and mix well.
4. Place rice paper onto a baking sheet and spoon approximately two tablespoons of the mixture per cookie, onto the rice paper.
5. Smooth the dough with a knife dipped into rose water to prevent it from sticking.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until firm to touch.
7. Remove cookies and allow to cool slightly. Dip one half in melted chocolate if using and allow to cool.
8. Mix the icing sugar with lemon juice to form a paste and drizzle or paint over the warm cookies.
Copyright The Vegetarian Society
Rate This Recipe