- Serves: 12
- Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 175 g raisins
- 175 g sultanas
- 400 g currants
- 50 g prunes, chopped
- 50 g apricots, chopped
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 6 tbsp sherry, brandy or whisky
- 225 g butter, softened
- 225 g dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g plain gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp treacle
Tips and Suggestions
Before soaking, place the prunes and apricots in food mixer and whizz until chopped into small pieces.
Decorate the fruit cake with marzipan and icing for a gluten free Christmas cake or even wedding cake.
1. Place all the fruit, ground almonds, spices and alcohol in a bowl, mix well, cover and leave to soak overnight.
2. Grease and double line a 8 tin. Preheat oven 140c/130C fan/gas 2.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until cappuccino coloured. Slowly add and incorporate the eggs one at a time dont worry if it curdles. Next fold in the flour and then add the fruit and treacle. Mix until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour into the lined tin, then place some foil loosely over the top with a small hole in the middle. Wrap a wet tea towel around the outside of the tin and tie with string. Bake for 4 and half hours until a clean skewer comes out clean.
Recipe supplied by Especially Delicious
Rate This Recipe