- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg Desirée potatoes
- 150 g plain flour
- 100 g semolina
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 250 ml double cream
- 120 g parmesan, grated
1. Cook the potatoes in their skins in a large pan of salted boiling water until tender. Drain and peel while still hot.
2. Mash the freshly peeled potatoes and quickly fold in the flour, semolina and eggs to make a soft dough, adding the nutmeg and seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper as you go. Allow to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
4. Roll the dough into long 'tubes' around 2cm in diameter. Cut the tubes into pieces 2-3cm in length. Press each piece of dough over the back of a fork to make indentations, forming the traditional gnocchi shape.
5. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add in the gnocchi. Cook until they rise to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well.
6. Use some of the unsalted butter to generously butter an ovenproof dish. Place the gnocchi in the buttered dish and drizzle over with cream. Dot with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes until golden. Serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe