- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 750 ml milk
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, skinned and chopped
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch nutmeg
- 180 g semolina
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 g freshly grated parmesan
- 100 g grated butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500 g mixed mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced
- 100 ml cream
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, juice only
Tips and Suggestions
For the mushroom sauce try using any mix of oyster, pink oyster, king brown, enoki, wood ear, pine or slippery jacks
1. To make the gnocchi, combine the milk with the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon of thyme and bay leaf and gently simmer for 10 minutes to infuse all the flavours.
2. Pass the milk through a sieve into pot and return to the heat. Simmer again and whisk in the semolina and stir until thick. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
3. While still hot whisk in the egg yolks and half the grated parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and spread the thick semolina over the tray so that it is about 2-3cm thick. Then allow it to cool.
5. Once cool, cut the gnocchi dough into circles using a round pastry cutter, reforming any trim so as to use all the semolina.
6. Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Rub a baking dish with butter and then arrange the semolina gnocchi slightly overlapping. Dot the top of the gnocchi with half the butter and more parmesan cheese.
7. Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
8. While the gnocchi bakes, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the garlic and remaining thyme. Then add the mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms soften.
9. Add the cream, salt and pepper and simmer to slightly thicken. Finally add the chopped parsley and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
10. Once the gnocchi is out of the oven pour the mushroom sauce over the gnocchi and finish with a grating of parmesan cheese.
Rate This Recipe