- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes plus chilling time
- Effort: medium
- 1 large baking potato
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 bunches fresh basil
- 200 g sun-blush tomatoes
- 500 g creamy goats' cheese
- 2 tbsp toasted pine kernels
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
For the firecrackers
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 25 g butter
- 50 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 red chillies, finely chopped
- mizuna leaves
- andful pumpkin seeds
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- squeeze lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Slice the potato with a mandolin slicer into 1mm slices. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for about 5 minutes, or until cooked but not coloured. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Leave the oven switched on to bake the firecrackers.
2. Lay a sheet of foil on the work surface place out the cooled potato slices on top so that they are overlapping in a square shape. Cover the potato with basil leaves and place the tomatoes along the nearest edge of the potato.
3. Roll the goats' cheese out into a square between two sheets of food wrap (such as cling film). Lay the cheese on top of the basil and top with the pine nuts and sesame. Roll the whole lot into a cylinder and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
4. Meanwhile, to make the firecrackers, combine the cheese, butter, flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper and chilli in a food processor and blitz until the mixture comes together in a dough.
5. Dust the work surface with flour and roll the cheese dough out thinly. Cut into rounds, place on a baking sheet and bake in the hot oven for about 8 minutes until a light golden colour.
6. When ready to serve arrange the "rockets" on serving plates. Slice a nice chunk of goats' cheese roll and place on top. Scatter around the pumpkin seeds, firecrackers, a drizzle of vinaigrette and a squeeze of lemon.
Rate This Recipe