- Serves: 4 as a starter
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cigars
- 2-3 sheets of filo pastry, depending on the size of the sheets
- 60 g butter, melted
- 8 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 125 g soft goats' cheese, crumbled
- 4 tsp honey
For the salad
- ½ unripe galia or cantaloupe melons, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 6 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
Tips and Suggestions
This dish is best made just before serving.
Filo sheets dry out really quickly. Be sure to store them well wrapped in cling film with no air contact.
You can flavour the goats cheese with any other dried herbs or spices that take your fancy, a sweet and savoury combination works well For example cayenne pepper, smoked paparika, ground cumin or chilli
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Cut the filo sheets to make 8 rectangles measuring approximately 15 x 20 cm. Lay them all out on the work surface.
2. Brush the rectangles generously with butter, ensuring that about 1 tablespoon is saved to brush the tops. Place one on top of the other so you have 4 rectangles. Sprinkle some thyme leaves along the long length of each pastry rectangle and fold the pastry in about 2cm to encase the leaves. Crumble a line of goats cheese along the length of the opposite side of the pastry. Drizzle the honey just inside the goats cheese and begin to roll. Starting at the goats cheese end, roll the pastry once over the cheese and carry on rolling all way to the thyme to meet the fold. Seal with butter. Repeat the process to make the rest of the cigars.
3. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and brush once more with the remaining butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
4. For the salad: Place the salad ingredients in a bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together and season in a separate cup, then toss in with the salad before placing in the centre of serving plates.
5. Once the goats cheese cigars are cooked, place a cigar on top of the salad to serve.
Want more party food inspiration? Try a canapé recipe
Rate This Recipe