- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr chilling
- Effort: medium
- 3 large Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 small egg white, lightly whisked
- black pepper
- 150 g goats' cheese, sliced into four
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
For the apple compote:
- 25 g goat's butter
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 20 g sugar, to taste
For the grain mustard butter sauce:
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp white wine
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 2 tsp goat's cream
- 100 g goat's butter, diced
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- black pepper
1. First cook the apple compote. Heat the goats' butter in a saucepan. Once it begins to foam add the chopped apple and rosemary.
2. Cook the apple until softened, stirring now and then. Discard the rosemary and pass the apple through a sieve, sweetening to taste with sugar.
3. Now make the mustard butter. Place the vinegar, wine and shallots in a small pan and cook until reduced by half. Add the cream, bring to the boil and cook briskly for around 10 seconds.
4. Add the butter piece by piece, whisking continuously, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the mustard and season with salt and freshly ground white pepper. Keep warm until serving.
5. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the potatoes and par-boil them, around 10 minutes, so they are partly cooked but still firm. Drain and cool.
6. Peel the par-boiled potatoes and grate into a bowl. Stir in the chives, parsley, egg white and season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Pat out a quarter of the potato mixture into a circle and place a portion of goat's cheese in the centre of the circle. Fold the potato mixture over the cheese, top with a little extra potato mixture and shape into a circle once more.
8. Repeat the process making 4 hash browns in all.
9. Heat the oil for deep-frying in a wok or deep fat-fryer to 160°C. Cook the hash browns one at a time until golden brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
10. Serve the hash browns at once with the apple compote and mustard butter sauce.
Rate This Recipe