- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes plus churning time
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 g sugar
- 300 g soft goats' cheese
- 100 ml basic custard
- ½ limes, juice only, or to taste
For the wine-poached figs
- 6 figs
- ½ bottle red wine
- 250 g sugar
1. Put the sugar into a heavy-based saucepan with 100ml water and cook until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is thickened slightly. Set aside to cool.
2. Put the goats cheese into a bowl and mash it with a fork to break it up and soften it.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar syrup and mix until thoroughly combined. (The remaining syrup will keep indefinitely in a sealed bottle in the fridge.)
4. Stir in the custard base, then add the juice of half a lime, adding more if you like.
5. Pour this mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen. Transfer to the freezer until ready to serve.
6. For the wine-poached figs: put the figs into a saucepan with the wine and sugar and poach gently until softened and well flavoured. Remove from the heat and allow the figs to cool in the wine syrup.
7. Remove the ice cream from the freezer about 30 minutes before serving to soften a little.
8. To serve, put scoops of ice cream into bowls and spoon over the figs and a little wine syrup.
Rate This Recipe