- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 2-3 hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 400 g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 kg plain flour
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 25 g salt
- 400 ml cold water
For the filling
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- olive oil
- 1 sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 800 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 dried bird's eye chilli, chopped
- 250 g spinach, washed, blanched and squeezed
- 100 g log goats' cheese, sliced
For the glaze
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
1. For the pastry: rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the vinegar and salt then gradually add the ice-cold water to bring the pastry together into a soft but not sticky dough. Work until smooth then rest in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
2. For the filling: preheat the oven to 175C/155C fan/gas 4.
3. Toss the diced squash with a slug of olive oil, salt, pepper and the chopped rosemary. Spread out on a roasting tray and roast until tender and a little caramelized. Leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile, make a rich tomato sauce by frying the garlic in olive oil until golden then add the tomatoes and chilli. Simmer until reduced by half. Leave to cool.
5. Chop the blanched spinach and mix with the cooled tomato sauce, then stir in the roasted squash. Season.
6. Divide the pastry dough into 2 and roll out one half to fit your pie dish. Fill the pie base with the filling and crumble in chunks of the cheese as you go.
7. For the glaze: roll out the remaining pastry to the same thickness. Brush the edges of the pie with a little of the egg and put the lid on top. Using your fingers crimp the edges and then glaze the top with the remaining egg and sprinkle with fennel seeds. Rest for 30 minutes.
8. Cook in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden.
Rate This Recipe