- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g baby beetroot
- 450 g goats' cheese
- 60 g coarse homemade breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 handfuls mixed salad leaves
- 60 g walnuts, roasted and skinned
For the walnut vinaigrette
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 50 ml peanut oil
- 50 ml walnut oil
1. Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2.
2. Wash and trim each bulb of beetroot. Place them into some aluminium foil and place in a moderate oven for approximately 1 hour. While the beetroot is roasting, prepare the dressing.
3. For the vinaigrette: dissolve the mustard and a dash of salt and pepper in the white wine vinegar. Whisk or stir in the oils. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Reserve.
4. Once the beetroot is cooked through, remove from oven and allow to cool. Peel carefully. Slice into 1/2 cm thickness rounds and marinate these slices in some of the vinaigrette.
5. For the goats cheese: turn the oven up to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
6. Peel the goats' cheese of any rind and slice into 2cm thick rounds. Brush with a little walnut oil and coat evenly with the breadcrumbs.
7. Bake in a hot oven for about 10 minutes, the cheese will be heated through, and be melting at the edges.
8. To serve: Dress the salad leaves with the walnut vinaigrette, and place in the centre of the 4 plates. Place the toasted goats' cheese on top. Arrange several of the slices of beetroot around the salad and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Garnish with the roast walnuts, sprinkling around and over the salad and beetroot.
Rate This Recipe