- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the goose
- 1 medium goose, about 5kg
For the salad
- 3 bulb fennel
- 3 oranges
- extra virgin olive oil
- 125 g black olives
For the goose:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Prick the fat glands under the wing of the goose and around the parson's nose. Place the goose on its back in a roasting tray and slide into the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
2. Turn the goose onto one side and cook for another 45 minutes. Turn it on the other side and repeat the treatment. Turn it breast side up, sprinkle with salt and leave for another 45 minutes.
3. By this stage, the bird will be cooked and bronzed all over. Pour the fat into a bowl and keep in the fridge for frying potatoes and other vegetables.
For the fennel, orange and olive salad:
1. Slice the fennel very finely, preferably using a mandolin. Put the slices into a bowl.
2. Peel the oranges right down to the flesh, then cut out the segments from the surrounding membranes by cutting in from the outside towards the centre. Add the orange segments to the fennel slices, then stir in the olive oil, to taste. Decorate with the olives. Chop up any of the fennel fronds and sprinkle over the top.
3. Serve with the cold roast goose.
Rate This Recipe