- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 900 g gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 50 ml elderflower cordial
- 100 g sugar
For the top
- 225 g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinches salt
- 100 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 175 ml buttermilk
- 25 g demerara sugar
For the custard
- 400 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 1 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 4 egg yolks
- 30 g sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Combine the fruit, cordial and sugar, and arrange in the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
3. In a blender, pulse together the flour, baking powder, salt and butter. When it looks like breadcrumbs, add the buttermilk and blend some more until it forms a sticky dough.
4. Spoon dollops of the dough on top of the fruit, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 25 minutes until crisp and golden.
5. In a saucepan, bring the milk, vanilla and lemon grass to scalding point. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl, then pour the milk onto the eggs and whisk until blended together. Return to the pan and heat gently, stirring continually, until the custard thickens to a sauce consistency.
6. Divide the cobbler into portions and serve hot with the custard sauce.
Rate This Recipe