- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g gooseberries
- sugar, to taste
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 50 g caster sugar
- 275 ml milk
- 600 ml double cream, lightly whipped
For the Almond Lavender Hearts:
- 150 g caster sugar
- 3 lavender flowers
- 115 g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 g plain flour
- grated zest of half an oranges
- 75 g ground almonds
- a drop of almond essence
1. First make the lavender sugar. Place 50g caster sugar and place in a mortar. Add the flowers of 3 lavender heads. Using a pestle work together until you can smell the perfume, about 2 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
2. Now make the almond lavender hearts. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar for about 3 minutes until it is pale and fluffy. Now add the egg yolk and mix again.
3. Sieve the flour and stir into the mixture with the grated orange zest and ground almonds. The mixture will become a fairly firm dough. Knead gently to combine the mixture well.
4. Lightly flour your surface and roll out the dough to about 5mm thickness. Using a small heart shaped biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits. Place the biscuits on 2 baking parchment-lined baking sheets.
5. Bake for 15 minutes until firm and a very light golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
6. Now make the fool. Firstly, place the gooseberries into a saucepan, with sugar to taste and elderflower cordial. Cook over a gentle heat until soft, then leave to cool.
7. Now make the custard by beating the egg yolks, arrowroot and the caster sugar together in a mixing bowl. Heat the milk to just below boiling point. Whisk the hot milk into the yolk mixture.
8. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook stirring constantly for 10-20 minutes until it thickens into custard. Do not let the mixture boil. Allow the custard to cool.
9. Gently fold together the cooked gooseberries, custard and whipped cream to make the fool. Cover and chill until serving. Serve with the almond lavender hearts.
Rate This Recipe