- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the gooseberry fool
- 400 g gooseberries
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 300 ml double cream
For the shortbread biscuits
- 115 g butter, softened
- 55 g sugar
- 150 g plain flour, sifted
1. First make the shortbread biscuits; preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until thoroughly blended.
3. Add the flour and mix in with your fingers to a soft dough.
4. Place the dough on a floured working surface and flatten down to 3mm thickness.
5. Using a biscuit cutter cut into shapes.
6. Place the shortbread shapes on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes until pale golden and set. Remove, cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight tin until serving.
8. To make the gooseberry fool; place the gooseberries, sugar, white wine and lemon juice in a pan
9. Bring to the boil and simmer until the fruit has softened.
10. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.
11. Pass through a fine sieve and allow to cool.
12. Whisk the cream until stiff.
13. Fold the cooled gooseberry puree into the whipped cream.
14. To serve; spoon the gooseberry fool into a serving dish or individual dishes and serve with the shortbread biscuits.
Rate This Recipe