- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 450 g gooseberries
- 170 ml elderflower cordial
- 2 eggs
- 30 g sugar
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream
1. Place the gooseberries and 150ml of elderflower cordial in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the gooseberries have almost cooked to a pulp. Strain and cool.
2. In a heatproof bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and arrowroot. Meanwhile, bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan. Whisk the hot milk into the beaten egg mixture.
3. Pour the egg mixture into a thick-based saucepan and, stirring constantly, heat gently until the mixture thickens into a custard. Set aside to cool.
4. Whip the double cream with the remaining elderflower cordial until stiff peaks form.
5. Layer the cooled gooseberry puree, custard and elderflower cream in four glass serving dishes. Chill until serving or serve at once.
Rate This Recipe