- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 300 ml milk
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 110 g caster sugar
- 340 g gooseberries
- 75 g cake crumbs
- butter, to grease dish
For the meringue topping
- 2 egg whites
- 55 g caster sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4.
2. Bring the milk and cream almost to the boil.
3. Beat the egg, yolks and half the sugar together in a bowl. Add the milk, stirring all the time.
4. Put the gooseberries and the rest of the sugar in a sauce pan on a medium heat. After 5 minutes, take out half of the gooseberries and put into the greased dish. Leave the rest to cook out to a jam consistency, then set aside.
5. Sprinkle the cake crumbs over the dish of gooseberries, then strain the custard onto the crumbs.
6. Place the dish in a roasting tin and fill the tin with hot water until it reaches half way up the sides of the dish. Bake in oven for around 30 minutes until lightly set.
7. Pour the warm jam evenly over the top, then set aside.
8. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, add half the sugar and whisk again until thick and glossy. Fold in the remaining sugar with a metal spoon.
9. Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping bag, then pipe a lattice design over the top of the jam.
10. Glaze under a hot grill until lightly browned. Serve.
Rate This Recipe