- Serves: 3-4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 185 ml water
- 75 g butter, diced
- 100 g flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp grated gruyère cheese
For the grilled red pepper, tomato and toasted pecan salad:
- 2 red peppers, grilled, skinned and deseeded
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- a handful of pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves only
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Put the water and butter into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Immediately tip in all the flour and the salt.
3. Beat the flour into the liquid until well-mixed in, then carry on beating over a low heat for a further 30 seconds or so to dry the mixture a little. It is ready when the dough forms a ball. Take off the heat.
4. Beat in three eggs, one at a time.
5. Break the last egg into a bowl and beat lightly to mix. Add about half of it to the choux pastry mixture and beat in. If the mixture is glossy and falls from the spoon, then you have added quite enough egg. If not, beat in the remaining egg. Mix in the diced gruyère.
6. Spoon the mixture in a ring around the outer area of a greased baking dish, leaving a hole in the middle.
7. Sprinkle the grated gruyère over the dough. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until puffed up high and richly browned.
8. Meanwhile, make the grilled red pepper, tomato and toasted pecan salad. Cut the grilled red peppers into strips.
9. Toss together the red pepper strips, tomatoes, pecans, spring onions and thyme. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
10. Serve the gougere hot or warm with the red pepper salad.
Rate This Recipe