- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground grains of paradise
- 2 pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- 50 g soft dark brown sugar
- 75 g butter
- 1 tbsp very finely chopped crystallised ginger
- sugar syrup and gold leaf, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, spices, salt, sugar, butter, and ginger in a bowl until well combined. If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of milk or water. Bring the dough together and transfer to a floured work surface.
3. Roll out the mixture on the floured work surface until about ½ cm thick. Cut into shapes with a biscuit cutter and place on a lined or greased baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden-brown.
4. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, brush the biscuits with a little sugar syrup and then decorate with gold leaf before serving.
Rate This Recipe