- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 24 hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
- 4 large pink grapefruit, thoroughly washed in warm water
- grenadine, to cover
- 2 tbsp blanched flaked almonds, toasted
- A drizzle of clear honey
For the sabayon:
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 100 ml caster sugar
- 100 ml sweet white wine
- 50 ml cold water
- 50 ml pink grapefruit juice
1. Peel thin strips of zest from the pink grapefruit. Finely shred the grapefruit zest.
2. Bring a small pan of water to the boil, add the shredded zest and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain, place in a bowl while still hot and add enough grenadine to cover. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
3. Segment the pink grapefruit and divide among 4 heatproof serving dishes. Sprinkle over the soaked zest.
4. Make the sabayon. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
5. Mix in the wine, cold water and grapefruit juice.
6. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, taking care that the bowl does not touch the water, and whisk until light and frothy.
7. Preheat the grill, Spoon the sabayon over the grapefruit segments. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds and drizzle over the honey.
8. Grill until the sabayon begins to colour. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe