- Serves: makes 12
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 red onions, about 550g total weight, halved lengthways and cut in very thin wedges
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 plump clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, finely chopped
- large handful basil, leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x 375 g puff pastry, sheet
- 125 g feta cheese, crumbled in chunky pieces
- 100 g roasted red peppers, in oil, from a jar, drained, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- about 24 olives
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced in sticks, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
These are good for dinner and eating in the day. Make these the morning of a picnic and the pastry will taste freshly baked even when its cooled down.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying or sauté pan. Tip in the onions and fry over a medium - high heat for about 8-10 minutes, until softened and tinged brown around the edges, stirring frequently. Remove, stir in the 1 tablespoon of oregano, season with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
3. Put the garlic, pine nuts and basil in a small bowl, then mix in the extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. When the onions are cold, lay the pastry sheet on the work top or a board. Cut it into 12 squares and lay them, slightly apart, on the baking sheets. Score each square, cutting into the pastry 5mm in from each edge to mark out a slightly smaller square. This will create a pastry border when baked. Spread a little of the basil oil over each square, keeping a bit back for drizzling later. Scatter the onions over the pastry, then the feta and red peppers. Lay a slice of tomato on top, tuck in the olives and finish with a little extra chopped oregano. Season.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes until the pastry if risen and golden. Drizzle with the reserved basil oil and scatter over a few more oregano leaves. Serve with cucumber sticks.
Rate This Recipe