- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 350 g filo pastry
- 600 ml milk
- 250 g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g ground almonds
- 600 ml double cream
- 180 g melted butter
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Lay half of the filo sheets in a baking tray, one at a time, brushing each layer with melted butter as you go.
2. Heat the milk and sugar in a pan until it reaches boiling point.
3. Place the eggs, vanilla, almonds and cream into a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
4. Pour the hot milk into the egg mixture and stir thoroughly, then return it to the pan and cook over a low heat until the mixture has thickened and is the consistency of pouring custard.
5. Pour the custard over the filo pastry. Lay the remaining pastry sheets over the custard mixture, brushing each layer with melted butter as before.
6. Brush melted butter over the top and cook for 1 hour, until the top is golden brown and puffed up and the filling has set.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve cold.
Rate This Recipe