- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the Thai green curry paste
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 shallots or 1 small red onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander roots, or stems
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 green chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 tbsp light-flavoured vegetable oil
For the chicken
- 1 tbsp light-flavoured oil
- 125 ml chicken stock or water
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn, or 3 strips of lime peel
- 500 g chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 100 g green (or snake) beans, cut into batons
- handful fresh or canned baby sweetcorn
- 400 g Japanese or Thai aubergines, or regular aubergine, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- handful basil
- few slices red chilli, (optional)
- lime wedges
- steamed rice
Tips and Suggestions
The green curry paste can be packed into sterilised jars and stored in the fridge for up to 1 month. It can also be conveniently frozen in 3-tablespoon portions. This recipe will make about 250ml.
1. For the Thai green curry paste: heat a small heavy-based saucepan or frying pan over a medium heat. Add the peppercorns, coriander and cumin and toast for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant, then transfer the mixture to a food processor.
2. Add the salt, turmeric, lemon grass, garlic, shallots, coriander root, ginger, chillies and oil to the toasted spices and pulse to a paste. Transfer the paste to a sterilised jar, cover and store in the fridge.
3. Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over a high heat. Add the oil and 3 tablespoons of the Thai green curry paste and cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
4. Stir in the stock, coconut milk, anchovy and kaffir lime and cook over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the beans, corn, aubergine, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice and cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. To serve, scatter with basil leaves and sliced chillies and accompany with steamed rice.
Rate This Recipe