- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 4 eggs, separated plus 1 yolk
- 8 tbsp sugar
- 40 g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp powdered green tea
- pinch of cream of tartar
For the topping:
- 225 ml double or whipping cream, whipped
- 1 tsp powdered green tea
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs and 7 tablespoons of sugar with an electric whisk for around 5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cornflour and powdered green tea.
4. Fold the sifted dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
5. Whisk the 4 egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Beat in the remaining sugar.
6. Fold together the whisked egg whites into the green tea mixture, combining well.
7. Divide the mixture among cup cake cases, placing them on a baking sheet.
8. Bake the fairy cakes for 15 minutes until risen and set.
9. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
10. To make the topping, fold together the whipped cream and green tea.
11. Top each fairy cake with a little of the green tea cream. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe