- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes 25 mins,
- Effort: medium
- 400 g potatoes, boiled in their jackets in salted water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-6 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 6 ripe greengages or plums
- 75 g butter
- 120 g white breadcrumbs
- 75 g caster sugar
1. While the potatoes are still hot, peel and mash them using a potato-ricer or mouli. Set aside to cool.
2. Once the potato has cooled mix in the beaten egg and season with salt. Add the flour a little at a time forming a soft dough.
3. With well-floured hands break off a plum-sized piece of potato dough. Flatten the dough between your palms, place a greengage in the middle of the dough and mould the dough around the plum, covering it completely.
4. Squeeze tightly and remove any excess pastry. Repeat the process until all the greengages are covered. Roll the dumplings in flour until coated.
5. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the plum dumplings, stirring gently so they do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Boil for 5-7 minutes until the dumplings float to the surface of the water.
6. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the breadcrumbs and fry until browned and crispy. Stir in the caster sugar.
7. Remove the floating dumplings with a slotted spoon. Roll the dumplings in the crispy breadcrumbs and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe