- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the greengage steamed pudding
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest
- 4 eggs
- 225 g self-raising flour, plus extra for flouring
- 4 tbsp greengage jam
For the cr'me anglaise
- 100 g caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 2 vanilla pods, split lengthways
1. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir in the eggs one by one. Fold in the flour - the mixture will resemble a smooth thick batter.
3. Butter and flour a 1 litre pudding basin. Spoon the jam into the bottom of the basin and top with the batter. Smooth over the top and cover with cling film.
4. Microwave for 8-10 minutes on a medium setting or until well risen and golden.
5. For the crème anglaise: whisk the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
6. Gently heat the milk and cream in a pan until nearly boiling. Pour the hot milk mixture onto the whisked eggs, and continue to whisk, adding a little at a time to avoid curdling.
7. Return the mixture to the pan and stir until thickened.
8. Carefully remove the vanilla pods from the pan and keep the custard warm.
9. Turn the steamed pudding out onto a serving plate and serve with the hot crème anglaise.
Made with produce from Butternut Deli - finalists of the Local Food Hero Awards 2007.
Rate This Recipe