- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
For the chicken
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- pinches chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp ground ground allspice
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 chicken thighs, (washed, rubbed with a lemon wedge and patted dry)
For the red pepper salad
- 1 large red pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 baby gem lettuce, leaves removed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
For the dressing
- 3 tinned anchovy fillets, drained
- 1/2 red pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp shelled pistachio nuts
1. For the chicken: whisk together the thyme, sage, chilli powder, black pepper, sugar, salt, allspice and one tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a shallow non-reactive dish.
2. Add the chicken thighs to the dish, cover and place in the fridge to marinate overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer or heavy-based saucepan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. Add the chicken to the pan (you may need to do this in batches).
4. Deep fry the chicken until golden-brown. Remove with a large slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
5. Transfer the chicken onto a roasting tray and roast for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through. You will know the chicken is cooked as the juices will run clear when the meat is pierced with a skewer in the thickest part.
6. For the red pepper salad: tip the red pepper, lettuce and red onion into a salad bowl.
7. For the dressing: place the anchovy fillets, red pepper and pistachio nuts into a blender and blend to a paste. Pass the mixture through a sieve into the salad bowl containing the red pepper salad. Toss to combine.
8. Serve the fried chicken with the red pepper salad.
Rate This Recipe