- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 3 hours 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 3 hours 30 minutes including tomato roasting time
- Effort: easy
For the lentil salad
- 20 pomodorini or other baby tomatoes, halved horizontally
- 3 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 175 g Puy lentils, soaked in water for 2-3 hours
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 small red onion, very finely sliced
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- 2 spring onions, diagonally sliced
- 125 g Greek feta cheese
- sea salt
For the sardines
- 8 whole sardines, cleaned and filleted
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 50 g mizuna or rocket
- lemon wedges
1. Pre-heat the oven to 140C/gas ½.
2. Lay the tomatoes in a roasting tray and season generously with salt and black pepper.
3. Drizzle over the light olive oil and scatter with the oregano. Cook for about 3 hours, or until the tomatoes are half their original size. Remove from the roasting tray and leave to cool slightly.
4. Drain the lentils from their soaking water and place in a saucepan with 1 litre water and a generous pinch of sea salt.
5. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 12-15 minutes, until tender. Drain well and run under a cold tap to cool until lukewarm.
6. Place in a large bowl with the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and the roasted tomatoes.
7. Add the red onion, chives, spring onions and Feta, season to taste and mix well.
8. Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot and brush with light olive oil. Season the fish generously with salt and pepper and cook, skin side down, for 3-4 minutes.
9. Turn over the fish and cook for a further minute.
10. To serve, fold the mizuna into the salad and divide between four plates.
11. Top with the sardine fillets, garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe