- Serves: Makes 4 large scones
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp caraway or fennel seeds
- 1 small egg
- 300 ml buttermilk
- lots of butter, to serve
1. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl then mix in the caraway or fennel seeds.
2. Whisk the egg into the buttermilk.
3. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Slowly pour in the buttermilk mixture and quickly bring the ingredients together with a scoop of your hands.
4. Gently knead the mixture to form a soft dough. Place onto a lightly floured surface.
5. Shape into a round and pat down to a height of 2.5cm, then cut into four even-sized portions.
6. Heat a flat griddle pan until hot. Place the dough portions on the griddle and reduce the heat to medium. Cook on each side for 7-8 minutes.
7. Alternately, preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7, place the dough portions on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Serve warm from the oven with lots of butter.
Rate This Recipe