- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 20 medium-sized asparagus
- olive oil
- mixed salad leaves, to garnish
For the Parmesan crisps:
- 125g grated parmesan
For the dressing:
- 70 ml balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
- 3 medium-sized shallots, finely sliced
- 250 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 tbsp chopped chervil
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the asparagus spears and cook for 3-4 minutes until the asparagus is just tender. Drain, plunge into cold water, drain and pat dry.
2. Preheat the oven to 120°C/gas 1/2.
3. To make the Parmesan crisps, place a piece of baking parchment on a baking sheet. Place a 7cm cutter on the lined baking sheet and sprinkle in Parmesan to 2mm depth. Repeat this process until all the Parmesan has been used, making 8 Parmesan circles in all.
4. Bake the Parmesan crisps for 3-4 minutes until melted. Do not over-cook or the cheese will become bitter. Cool on a wire rack and set side to harden.
5. To make the dressing, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper in a bowl until the salt has dissolved. Mix in the shallots and olive oil. Mix in the chives and chervil.
6. Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Lightly oil the asparagus with a little olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Sear the asparagus spears on the griddle pan, taking care not to over-sear.
8. Place 5 asparagus spears each on 4 serving plates. Drizzle the dressing over the asparagus. Top the asparagus with a little pile of salad leaves. Break two Parmesan crisps per plate over the salad. Serve.
Rate This Recipe