- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 300 g crumbled goats' cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tomatoes
- 100 ml olive oil
- 200 g ripe cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Heat a griddle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and fry the aubergine for about 3-4 minutes on both sides, until golden. Leave on one side to cool.
3. Mix the lemon zest and breadcrumbs with two-thirds of the goats' cheese and parsley.
4. Shape the cheese and bread mixture into balls about the size of a small walnut. Wrap each ball in a slice of aubergine. And arrange in a baking dish. Season well and set aside.
5. Heat 75ml of the olive oil in a saucepan. Lightly squash the tomatoes with the back of a fork and add to the pan with the garlic and red onion. Cook for 10 minutes, before mashing with a potato masher. Season to taste.
6. Pour the tomato sauce over the aubergines.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining goats' cheese. Transfer to an oven and bake for 20 minutes - until the goats' cheese topping is lightly coloured.
8. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve straight away with a green salad.
Rate This Recipe