- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices calves' liver, each 175g
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 50 g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- tbsp tiny capers, preferably non-pareille
- 175 ml dry sherry
- 1 splashes sherry vinegar
- 150 ml reduced veal stock
- 4 slices back bacon, grilled, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp chopped sage, (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, and lay the liver slices in carefully. Do not over fill the pan (cook in two batches if necessary). Cook until golden and then remove from the pan, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and keep warm.
2. Clean the pan and add half of the butter. Add the shallots and capers and fry until softened but not coloured.
3. Add the dry sherry and cook until reduced by half.
4. Add the sherry vinegar and thickened stock. Bring up to the boil and add the rest of the butter, stirring until fully incorporated.
5. At the last minute, add the sage (if using).
6. Add the bacon and serve immediately with the liver, and some horseradish mash.
Rate This Recipe