- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cod
- 2 X 200 g cod fillets, (ideally from the thicker head-end of the fish)
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
For the avocado butter
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- cloves garlic, crushed
- splashes Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- splashes tabasco, to taste
- 1 tbsp capers, drained, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chopped dill
- steamed curly kale or purple sprouting broccoli
1. For the cod: put the cod in a shallow dish or on a large plate and sprinkle over the sea salt.
2. Leave to stand for 10 minutes - this will help to firm up the flesh and adds a meaty texture and saline flavour.
3. For the avocado butter: mash the avocado with the lemon zest and juice in a small bowl. Stir in the softened butter and garlic, and add Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, to taste. Mix in the capers, dill and salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Preheat the grill to hot.
5. To cook the cod: brush the cod with the melted butter and cook under the grill for 5 minutes. Remove the fish from the grill and spread some of the avocado butter over each piece, then grill for a further minute or so, or until cooked through.
6. Serve the grilled cod with the remaining avocado butter on the side and with steamed curly kale or purple-sprouting broccoli.
Rate This Recipe