- Serves: 3-4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
For the garlic butter
- 100 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1/4 lemons, juice only
For the sardines
- 12 fresh sardines, cleaned and gutted
- sea salt
- olive oil
- 1 loaf crusty white bread, sliced
1. To make the garlic butter; soften the butter and mix in the garlic, parsley, lemon juice and pepper to taste.
2. Roll the mixture into a cylinder shape and wrap in cling film. Put in the fridge to set.
3. Preheat the barbecue.
4. Bury each sardine in sea salt and then take out and wipe off the excess salt.
5. Skewer each sardine lengthwise along a kebab stick and brush with olive oil.
6. Grill the sardines on the barbecue for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked. When ready the flesh of the fish should easily flake away from the bone.
7. Meanwhile grill the bread slices on both sides until done.
8. Serve the sardines on the grilled bread with a chunk of garlic butter to taste.
Rate This Recipe