- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 Romano peppers, seeds removed and halved
- 1.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 130 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- pinches salt
- pinches sugar
- pinches cayenne pepper
- 250 g halloumi cheese
- 100 g wild rocket
For the dressing
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- tbsp salted capers, well rinsed
- 1 small chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 16 large leaves basil, coarsely shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Place the peppers in a baking tray just large enough to hold them; pour over the red wine vinegar and 75ml of the olive oil. Add the halved garlic, season with salt, sugar and cayenne and cover with foil.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, before removing the foil and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes.
4. While the peppers are in the oven, slice the halloumi into 8 pieces and set aside.
5. To make the dressing, combine the lime zest and juice, the remaining olive oil, capers, chilli and sliced basil in a large bowl.
6. Once the peppers are cooked, add them, along with their cooking juices, to the dressing. Slice the cooked garlic finely and add to the bowl.
7. Heat a griddle, brush the sliced halloumi with a little olive oil and grill for 2-3 minutes on one side only.
8. Tip the cheese into the pepper salad and toss well, before serving the salad on 4 plates. Combine the rocket in the remaining dressing and serve on the side.
Rate This Recipe