- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus steeping overnight
- Effort: easy
For the pickled onions
- 125 ml cider or white wine vinegar
- 125 ml honey
- 1 large pinches ground allspice
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 handfuls washed chervil, leaves picked
- 6 jerusalem artichokes, thinly sliced
For the grilled mackerel
- 4 mackerel fillets
- soured cream
Tips and Suggestions
The onions will keep for a long time in the fridge in an airtight container. This recipe is also great as a light lunch just cook two fillets per person.
1. For the pickled onions: in a bowl combine the vinegar, honey and allspice to make a pickling liquid. Add the onion and leave to steep overnight in the fridge. When ready, drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the liquor.
2. For the grilled mackerel: brush the fish with oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a griddle or charcoal grill until smoking then place the fish on the griddle, skin-side down, and cook for 2 minutes. Turn over and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until cooked through. Set aside.
3. Toss the onions with the reserved pickling liquor, then stir in the Jerusalem artichoke and the chervil. Pile onto serving plates.
4. To serve, place the mackerel beside the salad on the plate and drizzle around the sour cream.
Rate This Recipe