- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the mussels
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg live mussels, beards removed
- 1 pinches saffron
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 85 g chorizo, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
For the breadcrumbs
- 5 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat a large pan over high heat until very hot then add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
2. When smoking hot, add the mussels and saffron and cover with a lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the mussels have opened. Discard any that do not open. Cool and reserve the cooking juices.
3. Remove the top shells from the mussels, leaving them on the half shell. Place them in a large shallow ovenproof dish and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and chorizo and cook until they begin to colour, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes more, until the onions are soft.
5. Add the tomato purée, smoked paprika and mussel cooking juices and heat through.
6. Mix the parsley, breadcrumbs, zest and extra virgin olive oil together in a bowl.
7. Preheat your grill to medium (an extremely hot oven will also do).
8. Spoon the onion mixture over the mussels and top with the breadcrumbs. Place under the grill until the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden brown.
Rate This Recipe