- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 mins marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 pineapple
- 250 g caster sugar
- a pinch of strands saffron, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
1. Peel the pineapple, discarding the spiky top. Trim the base and cut out any eyes in the flesh. Cut the pineapple into slices.
2. Combine the sugar in a large saucepan with 500ml cold water. Place over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Once the liquid is clear, raise the heat and bring to a boil. Simmer steadily for 10 minutes, until the syrup starts to become viscous, then add the saffron and chilli, stirring to distribute them evenly, and continue simmering for another 2 minutes.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and carefully slip the sliced pineapple into the syrup. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes, or until you want to finish the dish.
4. Heat a ridged grill pan until very hot. Lift the pineapple slices from the syrup and lay them on the grill pan, pressing down well to encourage browning. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then turn over and sear on the other side. Remove each cooked slice and place it back in the syrup. Serve 2 or 3 slices per person, depending on the size of the fruit, with some of the syrup drizzled over.
Rate This Recipe