- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large ripe pineapple, (refrigerated for one hour before grilling)
- 6 tbsp vodka, (flavour of your choice)
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
try a simplified version on the barbecue: peel and cut the fruit into 6 wedges, remove the eyes, dowse in vodka and sprinkle with the cracked black pepper. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes on each side, on the barbecue and serve with vanilla, toffee or honeycomb ice cream.
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple and place on a chopping board, flat bottom downwards. Using a large serrated-edged knife cut off the skin in long thin strips, from top to bottom, and work round the pineapple until all the skin is removed. The flesh will be studded with eyes of deeply imbedded skin. Cut these out with the point of a sharp kitchen knife. Slice the pineapple into quarters through the hard central core and then slice out the core.
2. Transfer the quarters to a plate and splash over the vodka. Sprinkle over the pepper then cover and refrigerate for an hour.
3. Grill the pineapple quarters for 4-5 minutes on each side until charring and caramelised.
4. To serve, transfer the grilled pineapple to a chopping board and slice into three chunks. Skewer each piece with a bamboo skewer and serve warm.
Rate This Recipe