- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 thick pork chops, with a good layer of fat
For the red onion jam
- 20 red onions, finely sliced
- 1 bottles red wine
- 180 ml red wine vinegar
- 350 g demerara sugar
- 125 ml port
For the bubble and squeak
- 1 1/2 tsp duck fat or vegetable oil
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped
- 15-20 cooked sprouts, sliced into 4
- 300 g cold left-over mashed potato
Tips and Suggestions
for presentation, you can form the bubble and squeak ingredients into patties before cooking.
1. For the red onion jam: heat a large saucepan and add the onions. Let them gently sizzle for a moment before pouring in the red wine and red wine vinegar.
2. Bring to the boil and stir in the sugar. Boil the mixture until the liquid has almost reduced completely - this should take 1 - 2 hours, depending on how wide the pan is. By now the onions will be soft and stained a deep claret colour and any remaining liquid will be thick and syrupy.
3. Stir in the port and reduce the temperature to low to stop the onion mixture from catching. Stir the pan regularly at this stage. Continue cooking until the liquid has almost evaporated and remove the pan from the heat.
4. Reserve enough jam for the meal and cool the remaining mixture before transferring to sterilised jars.
5. For the bubble and squeak: heat the duck fat in a non-stick frying pan. Add the bacon and brown before adding the garlic and cooking for a minute more.
6. Stir in the sprouts and caramelise a little. Add the mashed potato. Work everything together in the pan and push it down so that the mixture covers the base. Let the mixture to catch slightly on the base of the pan before turning it over and doing the same again. Repeat the process until the entire mixture is hot and has plenty of lightly burnt bits in it.
7. Cook the chops uder a hot grill until cooked through, turning once. Serve with a generous helping of bubble and squeak and onion jam.
Rate This Recipe