- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, 3 chopped, one whole
- 1 jars sweet pimento pepper
- ½ tsp dried red chilli flakes, (or powder)
- 5 tbsp prawn or fish stock
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 10 blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 king prawns, peeled, heads on
1. For the sauce: bring a large pan of water to the boil, drop in the tomatoes and cook until the skins split. They should still be firm at this stage. Remove the skin and seeds and roughly chop, then set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the onions and chopped garlic until soft. Add the peppers, tomatoes, chilli, stock and wine. Gently simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, grill or pan roast the almonds until golden, making sure you watch them carefully as they burn easily. Put in a food processor along with the remaining oil, vinegar and garlic. Process until smooth.
4. Now add the tomato mix and blend for one more minute. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
5. For the prawns: grill the prawns on a high heat for three minutes, or until they turn pink. Serve with the sauce.
Rate This Recipe