- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr resting time
- Effort: medium
For the grilled quail
- 4 quail
- olive oil, for drizzling
- handul thyme, leaves picked
- 1 lemon, juice only
For the lentil and parsley salad
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stick celery
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 250 g Puy lentils
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- splash fish sauce
- handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1. For the grilled quail: cut down the breast bone of each quail with a pair of scissors and flatten it out. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Pre-heat the grill. Place the quails on a baking sheet breast side down under the grill, not too close to the flame. Cook for 3-4 minutes, turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until well browned and cooked through. Take out to rest for five minutes.
3. For the lentil and parsley salad: heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the celery, onion and carrot, and cook for 3 - 4 minutes over a medium heat until softened but not brown.
4. Add the stock and lentils, bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes, until the lentils have absorbed all the liquid.
5. Stir in the mustard, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire and fish sauces. Season with salt and pepper, stir through the parsley and place in a serving dish.
6. Put the birds on a serving dish, squeeze over the lemon and scatter with thyme leaves. Serve the lentil and parsley salad on the side.
Rate This Recipe