- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 salmon, with skin, each 75g
- 4 scallops, shelled, each 40g
- 40 g butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 apple
- half tsp curry powder
- Pinch of ground saffron, (optional)
- 400 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp double cream or crème fraîche
- 2 large courgettes
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 large kohlrabi, peeled
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- Sprigs of dill, to garnish
1. Slice the skin off the salmon fillets and reserve. Cut any brown flesh off the salmon fillets. Cut each fillet in half and trim the fillet to the same depth as the scallops.
2. Wrap two pieces of salmon fillet around each scallop, overlapping the ends of the salmon. Cut the reserved salmon skin into strips the same depth as the scallops. Wrap the skin around the salmon and scallop rolls.
3. In a heavy-based frying pan heat 20g of butter with the oil. Add the onion and cook,, stirring frequently, until it is soft and translucent.
4. Add the red pepper and cook gently, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the apple, curry powder and saffron and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Transfer the red pepper mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Press the red pepper puree through a fine sieve to extract maximum liquid and flavour. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the cream or crème fraiche and set aside.
6. Peel the green skin off the courgettes and then cut them into strips, 3mm wide and 10cm long. Cut the carrots and kohlrabi into strips in the same way. Blanch all the vegetables quickly in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and refresh at once in a large pan of iced water.
7. Preheat the grill. Season the salmon rolls with salt and pepper. Turn them in groundnut oil and cook under the grill until the fish is translucent and moist.
8. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a frying pan. Add the blanched courgettes, carrots and kohlrabi and fry, stirring, for 3 minutes.
9. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and arrange neatly on four serving plates. Place a salmon portion on each plate and pour the sauce around it. Garnish with dill.
Rate This Recipe