- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
- 170 g salmon, or steakcut into cubes
- 170 g tuna fillet or tuna steaks, cut into cubes
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into squares
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into squares
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- 4 mushrooms, halved
- olive oil, for brushing
For the marinade:
- 4 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp pepper sauce
- juice of 1 limes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the sweet potato salad:
- 4 orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise or vinaigrette
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- pinch of cayenne pepper
Tips and Suggestions
A delicious alternative to wooden or metal skewers, when barbecuing, is to use sturdy rosemary stalks once you have stripped off the leaves. It add flavour to the food and gives off a wonderful aroma during cooking.
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl, add the fish and vegetables and leave to marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 4-8 hours.
2. To make the sweet potato salad, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1cm dice. Cook in boiling salted water for about 10-15 minutes, until just tender, making sure that you don't overcook them. Leave them to cool slightly and season lightly.
3. If using a mayonnaise, place it in a bowl - if you feel it is too thick, add a tablespoon of water to thin it down. Add the spring onions and chives, and pour over the cooled sweet potatoes. Gently turn the mixture without breaking the potatoes up. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary, and sprinkle with chopped parsley and a pinch of cayenne, then chill. If using a vinaigrette, pour it over the potatoes while they are still warm. When cool, add all the other ingredients.
4. Preheat a hot barbecue. Thread the fish and vegetables alternating attractively on wooden skewers that have been soaked in water, and then brush the food with more oil.
5. Cook on the hot barbecue, turning the skewers frequently. The fish and vegetables should cook in 4-5 minutes. If you like, you can baste them with the marinade during cooking. Serve with the Sweet Potato Salad.
Rate This Recipe