- Serves: 4 as a main course
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 16 large or 24 medium fresh sardines, gutted and scaled (you can ask your fishmonger to do this for you)
- 1 x 350g jar pickled baby beetroot, drained and diced
- 1 tart green apple, (such as Granny Smith), peeled and cored
- 200 ml Greek strained yogurt
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
1. Preheat a griddle pan or barbecue until very hot.
2. Arrange the sardines on the griddle pan, season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn the sardines and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until cooked through and lightly charred on the outside.
3. While the sardines are cooking, tip the chopped beetroot in a bowl, grate in the apple and mix in the Greek yoghurt and creamed horseradish. Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Divide the beetroot tzatziki between 4 serving plates and arrange the griddled sardines alongside to serve.
Rate This Recipe